About Me

My photo
Retro wifey, mommy to a princess, editor, PETA fanatic, and I Love Lucy!

Sunday, March 30, 2014

SUPER EASY HOMEMADE BREAD

Homemade bread is truly one of my major weaknesses.  I do mean MAJOR weakness!  When I diet, giving up bread and pasta is the hardest for me.  But since I am not dieting...

I am sharing the easiest bread recipe that I have.  This recipe makes 1 loaf; but if you want to make 2 loafs, just double the recipe. Easy-Peasy!







 Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1-1/2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour, approximately

Directions:

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. 

In large bowl, add the warm water. Slowly stir in dry yeast. Continue to stir until yeast is dissolved.

Add salt, sugar, shortening, and milk to bowl. Stir.

Mix in the first 2 cups of flour. If needed, begin adding more flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough chases the spoon around the bowl. (you may not need to use all the flour called for in this recipe, or you may need a little more flour than called for).

Lightly coat the loaf pan with Pam butter spray (or you can use regular butter, olive oil, or vegetable shortening).  Form dough into loaf pan, cover, let rise for about 40-45 minutes. (Be sure and spray your saran wrap before covering the loaf so the dough doesn't stick to the top).

Score dough by cutting 3 slashes across the top with a sharp knife. (I actually didn't do it this time, but usually I do).  Put in oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven. Butter the top of bread (optional).

Turn out bread on a wire rack (preferably), or a clean dishtowel. Cover and let cool at least 30-45 minutes.  (Cutting hot bread will deflate the loaf).

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly